Evren OS installation on a VM for Windows
What will you need?
1. Evren bootable image file (.iso)
2. Oracle Virtual Box for virtualization
3. Laptop/PC that you want to install on (We currently only support x86 architecture-based devices)
4. Internet Connection (Wi-Fi or Wired)
⚠️ Before you begin, please ensure your laptop has enough memory space allocation for Virtual Machine. We suggest having 20 GB of memory space allocation and 4 GB of RAM allocation, respectively.
How to download Evren ISO file & VirtualBox
1. If you don't have the ISO file, please browse the Evren Manager Portal to download it and proceed with the next step.
2. Please head to VirtualBox's official website https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads to download VirtualBox 6.1.26 platform packages based on your Operating system (OS).
Installing VirtualBox on Windows
1. Open the new EXE file and double-click VirtualBox-6.1.22-Win.exe to open the installer.
2. You will see a custom setup dialog box. Please accept the default and click Next. If you wish to change the installation directory, you can change it by clicking on the Browse button selecting the new directory, and clicking OK. We recommend using the Default Installation Directory.
In this dialog box, you can choose which features to install by accepting the default and clicking Next.
3. You will be directed to install the dialog box.
4. After clicking Install, you will probably see the User Access control confirmation dialog box from Windows OS. This is a security feature in Windows that wants to confirm if the application should be allowed to proceed with the installation process. Click Yes to continue, and you will see that the installation process will begin. Wait for the installation to complete.
5. After the installation is completed, you shall see the installation completion dialog box. If you leave Start Oracle VM VirtualBox after installation is checked, VirtualBox will launch automatically. If you unchecked it, you will have to launch Virtualbox manually. Click Finish to exit the installation.
Installing Evren on VirtualBox
1. Your newly installed VirtualBox is ready to go. You can search for VirtualBox in Windows search in the taskbar. You will see the VirtualBox Icon on top and click to open it.
2. In VirtualBox, click New.
3. You can name your new operating system as desired if you type the name of any available OS. You may opt to choose a different Machine Folder to store the VMs. When you’re ready, click Continue.
4. On the following screen, choose how much RAM (the amount of memory) you want to allocate to your VM, then click Continue. If you set this too high, your Windows won't have enough memory to run. The default recommendation is 4000 MB, enough to run most installers. Heavier codes or applications might require at least 3 GB, though. You can always change this later in Settings.
5. Now, you have to decide the hard disk size for your VM or if you want one. Select Create a Virtual Hard Disk Now and then click Create.
6. Next, you must decide which type of hard disk to create. The default is VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image), Oracle’s proprietary container format. Please opt for a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) for Windows machines. On the next screen, select Dynamically Allocated if you want a faster setup. If you want faster performance, select Fixed Size and then click Continue.
7. Now, you have successfully installed VirtualBox and Evren VM. Before clicking Start, please go to Settings to modify the EFI settings to boot the Evren OS.
8. Navigate to System. You may need to modify the EFI settings at the sub-menus of the VM configuration by enabling EFI (instead of UEFI secure boot). Tick on Enable EFI (special OSes only) as in the screenshot below.
9. Next, you must set up the Evren OS by configuring the downloaded ISO file on your laptop. First, go to VirtualBox and then click Settings.
10. Please navigate to Storage and choose Empty under Storage Devices. Next, click on the disc icon on the right, click on Choose a disk file, and select the Evren bootable image(.iso) file.
11. Click on Start to be directed to the page below. Please click Install Evren to proceed with the installation.
12. You will see this screen now. The setup will run unattended and take 30-45 minutes, depending on your laptop/PC.
13. Once the installation has been completed, you will be asked to set it up before you use it. Click on Start Configuration.
14. Select the configuration for Timezone, Keyboard, and Language.
15. Create a user account with a password. This same password will also be used for hard disk encryption, which you must enter whenever you restart your laptop/PC.
16. The laptop/PC will auto restart, and you must enter your password to log in.
Enjoy your new Evren OS. The apps selected to be installed on the admin portal will be automatically installed in a few minutes. Please make sure there is internet connectivity.
Please contact email@example.com for any queries or to report any bugs.